There are 550,000,000 people on Facebook today!! That is a HUGE audience!! If you aren’t one of those, it’s time to get in on the action!! If you haven’t created an account or used your current account to market your business, you may feel a little overwhelmed with the idea of getting started. I know I did! So I am going to lay it out in very basic way so that anyone can start taking advantage of this incredible social networking platform. I am going to start super basic today with what type of Facebook page to create. Together we will take baby steps toward making Facebook a huge asset to your life and your business!!!
1. Should you create a Profile page or a Fan page or both???
I personally have both. I love Facebook for personal AND for business but I don’t want to shove my business information in my friend’s and family’s faces all the time. So I created a fan page as well. The difference and some fun facts about each:
Below you will find the homepage of Facebook when you visit http://www.facebook.com/. This is where you will setup your account. Fill out the “Sign Up” portion to create a personal profile page OR click on the “Create a Page” link to setup a Fan Page (see below circled in red).
If you already have a personal profile page setup, which I’m sure most of you do, you can click on the “Ads and Pages” link in the sidebar of your homepage once you are logged into Facebook. There you will find the “Create a Page” option. Once you click on that, you will reach the screen below. Choose which type of page you wish to create. If you wish to brand your name, choose “Public Figure.” If you wish to brand your blog, like I have for example, you can choose “Brand, Product or Organization.” If you wish to just list your business name, choose “Local Business.”
2. How to set up your pages to make them attractive and functional?
This is important! You want your friends and fans to be able to easy navigate through your pages to find the important information that you are delivering.
- Info – Here you will list your Interests, Contact Information, Websites, etc. Be as detailed as you’d like.
- Pictures – Adding pictures to your page will help your friends/fans get to know you better. It will make you more real and personable and your page more warm and inviting. I love to add family pictures to my pages of my kids and I and our life.
- Blog - If you have a blog, you can make a tab for it for easy access.
- Discussions (for fan pages only) – Here you can start discussion topics and interact with your fans in a private forum type setting.
- Additional Tabs – There are also additional tabs that you can create by clicking on the “+” tab.
“Write something about yourself” box
In this box, you will just place a quick, little blurb about yourself, what you are representing or trying to deliver. For example, mine says “Thoughts, experiences, inspiration and more from a Work at Home Mom! http://www.TheSavvyWAHMom.
See below for screenshot of the above steps:
3. Adding Friends/Promoting Fan Page
Now that you have your page(s) setup, it’s time to share them!!
Adding Friends for your Profile page
- Search for your friends, family, business partners, team members, etc.
- In the sidebar of your homepage, you will see the “People you may know” feature (see below in screenshot). This is a feature that Facebook has in place to connect you with new friends. It will pull friends of your friends on there, otherwise known as Mutual Friends.
- Look up your Networks. For example, go up to the search box and type in your company name. Anyone who has listed themselves as a part of that company will appear.
Getting Likes/Fans on your Fan Page
- Place link on Blog – If you already have a blog setup, definitely include a Facebook Plugin on there so people can easily reach your fan page and “like” it. (See sidebar to the right of this post to see mine)
- Suggest to Friends – Once you have your fan page setup, you can invite all of your friends from your personal profile to “like” your fan page. It’s a very simple step. From your fan page’s homepage, click on the “Suggest to Friends” link and choose which friends you wish to invite. I highly recommend including a personal note from you on there, something short and sweet like: “Hey there!! I am so happy to invite you to be a part of my fan page. I’m truly looking forward to sharing some valuable content with everyone and I would feel honored to have you be a part of it! I hope you are having a beautiful day! ~KristieJ
Adding People for both Personal Profiles and Fan Pages
I absolutely love this method as I LOVE to help my friends and business partners out! If you have a friend or business partner who is also getting started on Facebook and promoting a personal profile or fan page, suggest to your friends to add and/or like them. Same steps as above, super simple! Have your friend(s) return the favor by promoting you!! I’ve personally done this and it works wonders! I would also be happy to do it again for any of my readers. So just let me knowJ My goal is to help us all reach success and together, we TRULY can achieve more!!
I hope this information was helpful for you!! Feel free to pass it on to anyone you feel could benefit from it, your friends, new team members, anyone you’d likeJ I’m looking forward to sharing more Facebook tips over the next few weeks! Stay tuned for “How to Brand Yourself by using your Profile and Fan Page”.