How to Setup a Fan Page on Facebook
One of the first, easiest and FREE things you can do to market your AmeriPlan business is to create a Facebook page for your business. This is a page that is completely different and separate from your personal Facebook page. You will, however, need to have a personal Facebook account before you can setup a business page. So, if you haven’t already setup a personal Facebook account, that is your first step.
If you’re a little unclear about the differences between a personal Facebook account and a business account… it’s pretty simple. A personal account is just that, personal and not to be used for advertising. You can share basic things about your business on your personal page. For example, you could update your status about how you “Just love working at home in your PJs” or how you are “So excited that you just saved $1,000 on your daughter’s braces using your AmeriPlan benefits.” However, Facebook has rules that you are not permitted to full blown market your business on your personal page. What that means is, you cannot create posts that can result in making money on your personal profile. An example would be, “Save 80% on Dental, visit www.apdentalplus.com.” That is a post that is meant for a business page, not your personal profile. On your business page, you can share anything about your business, ads and information about working with our team and our benefits, invite them to calls, invite them to visit your website, etc.
Here are the exact, simple steps that you can take to setup your page. (I am recording this call and I will be sending out these written instructions along with the recorded call shortly after this call is over.)
1. Log in to your personal Facebook account. In the sidebar on the left side of the screen, you will see a link that says “Create a Page”. If you already have created pages, you won’t see “Create a Page” but instead just click on the link that says “Pages.” Then you will see the “Create a page” link to click on.
2. Now you are on the Create a Page screen. Here you will choose the type of page you will have. “Company, Organization, or Institution” is a good one to choose.
3. Next, you’ll choose the category for your page. Select the “Choose a Category” drop down menu. If you’re creating a page just for the benefits side, you can select “Health/Beauty” or “Health/Medical/Pharmaceuticals.” Either one is fine. If you are doing a page for the work at home opportunity, you could select “Education” since you will be educating people on how to earn an income from home. There are also other options to choose from, feel free to choose another if you’d like. These are just the ones that I have used.
4. Next you will name your Page. You can title your Page with your full name and your title. For example, “Kristie DeGraw, Independent AmeriPlan Representative.” I don’t recommend using your actual title. For example, “Regional Sales Director” because once you have 100 fans on your page, you will not be able to change the name of your page. And we all KNOW that you will be promoting to SRSD and beyond real soon:) Or feel free to get creative with the name of your page. However, I do NOT recommend just naming your page “AmeriPlan.” Whatever you choose for your page, just remember that once you hit 100 fans, there is no changing it. Once you’ve entered the name of your page, check the box that says “I agree to Facebook Pages Terms.” Then click the “Get Started” button.
5. Now you will see a screen that will take you through three steps to set up your page.
Add a description and website for your page. For the description, this is the little blurb that will appear below your cover image, as well as on your About page. Add a description for your business that will encourage people to want to “Like” your page and even to find out more about you and what you do. For the website, add your website that you’re promoting, this can be your Freedom at Home Team site, your membership site, a blog, etc.
Choose a unique Facebook web address to make it easier for people to find your page. For example, my page name is “The Savvy WAH Mom.” So I chose “TheSavvyWAHMom” for the ending of my unique page name URL, so it’s www.facebook.com/TheSavvyWAHMom. Be sure you are certain that you want to keep the page name you created before you choose to use the page name in your site URL. Because once you set the URL, it cannot be changed.
You will then be asked, “Are you a real organization, school or government?” Click “Yes. “
You will then be asked, “Will (Whatever your page name is) be the authorized and official representation of this organization, school or government on Facebook?” Click “Yes.” However, If you just choose the name “AmeriPlan” for your page, which again I do not recommend, do not select yes for this option because you are not the official representation for the company AmeriPlan.
Then click “Save Info”
6. Now you will be prompted to add your profile photo. This is the main picture for your Page that everyone will see when you post anything on Facebook. So pick a good, happy picture of yourself. I do not recommend using a logo instead of a picture. People want to do business with a person not a logo. A picture of you is much more welcoming and will set you apart from others. So once you have chosen a picture, Click the “Upload From Computer” link and select your picture from the files on your computer. Then once it uploads, click the “Next” button.
7. Next, you will be prompted to add your page to your favorites. This will put your page in the left sidebar of your Facebook home page for easy access. Click “Add” and then “Next.”
8. On the next page, it will prompt you to “Like” your own page so you can have your first Like:)
9. Now it will direct you to your Facebook page that you just created. You will see an Admin Panel at the top. As your Page grows and fans interact, you’ll see notifications and messages here, as well as analytics, once you have at least 30 fans.
10. Even though you see your page all setup, you’re not done personalizing it yet:) Now, you need to click on the “Add a Cover” tab to add a Cover Photo which is the big photo across the top of your page. You can choose a picture of yourself and kids or a nice picture and quote for a work at home page. Or if it’s a benefits page, choose something more related to that. However, technically Facebook states that you cannot place advertisements that have your websites on them as your cover photo. Once you’ve selected what picture you’d like to add, you will see a pop up informing you of Cover Photo guidelines. Click the “Okay” button. The “Add a Cover” menu then appears (you may need to scroll down a little to see it.) Choose “Upload Photo.” Select your photo from your computer. Once you’ve selected it, Facebook will display a portion of it within the space. You have the option of clicking and dragging the photo so the portion you choose is displayed. Once you like the way it looks, click the “Save Changes” button.
11. Just like on your Facebook Profile, you can share status updates, photos, links, events and more from the Status Update box on the left below your About information.
12. Once you’ve shared some content, it’s time to tell your friends about your new Page! Scroll up to the Admin panel of your Page (above the cover photo). There are several ways to invite people. You can click the “Build Audience” drop-down and choose “Invite Friends” (for Facebook friends on your personal account) or Invite Email Contacts (for people you’re not friends with on Facebook). You can also click the “Invite Friends” link in the New Likes section in the bottom-left corner (this will only appear here until you have enough people who have liked your Page.) Finally, the Invite Friends section on the bottom right also displays friends it suggests you invite, and you can click the “See All” link to invite more friends.
13. Choosing any of the Invite Friends on Facebook options will bring up the Invite Friends dialog box. From here you can select any friends you want to invite to like your Page. By default, Facebook displays friends that you’ve recently interacted with on Facebook. However you can use the drop-down box in the top-left of this box to choose from other groups of friends, or all friends. Click the box next to each friend you want to invite to like your Page, and then click the “Submit” button. Once you click the Submit button, your friends will receive a notification that you’ve invited them to like your Page.
So now that you’ve set up your Facebook Page, it’s time to go out and share great content, build a community, and get to know people. If you’re wondering what to post on your page and how to build your fan base, I recently hosted a call on this topic. You can find it on our team site at www.careerandfreedom.homestead.com on the weekly calls page. It is the call titled “Facebook Marketing 101″ in the left sidebar. You can also visit my blog at www.savvwahm.com and review the “Facebook Marketing” tab for more tips on building a Business Facebook page.
Also, find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com.com/KristieLWooten so I can be one of your first fans!! I will also share your page on our team Facebook page to help you start building your page right away:) And please come “Like” my business page at www.facebook.com/TheSavvyWAHMom. Following my page will also give you great ideas of things you can post on your page.
How to Start Branding Yourself on Facebook
Now that you have your fan page setup, you may be wondering “What now?” Well, now you are ready to start branding yourself! Branding yourself is getting your name recognized as the “go to” person on your chosen subject. Personal branding catches the attention of people in our industry and showcases you as an instant expert. This is a process that requires consistent effort and a long term time commitment. But it is so worth it in the long run. Here are some quick tips to get you in action mode TODAY:
The most important way to start branding yourself is to put yourself out there and focus on daily action on your page(s). You want your friends and fans to see you out there everyday. You may be thinking “Okay, that sounds great but what do I put on my page?” Great question!! The most important thing when working on personal branding is to think about what type of presence you would like to create. You want to become someone that people want to follow, someone that provides value, inspiration and a positive, uplifting energy. And don’t feel like you are not someone knowledgeable or interesting enough for people to follow. YOU are fabulous and YOU have information and greatness inside of you that you can share and that will help people!!! Believe that and it will all start to flow beautifully!!
- Update your status – This can be very basic “What are you doing?” stuff. Since my mission is providing content for working successfully at home so I can be home with my kids, I like to paint a picture of what my day looks like, how much freedom my home business gives me in my status. For example, a recent status update that I posted was “Ready for this BUSY day! Just got Brit to Chorus, now headed to Landon’s field trip, then the book fair after school, Brit’s Chorus Concert tonight and finally co-hosting a team call before bed! Bring on the 15 hour energy!!!”
- Personal pictures or videos - People love to know about your personal lives, that’s why Facebook is so popular. Share pictures and videos from your life on your pages. It will make you more real, warm and welcoming. They will be able to connect with you on a deeper level, in turn, making you more memorable.
- Other videos – These can be videos that you take of yourself providing instruction or sharing a message or could be an inspirational video that you run across on You Tube, for example. Any video pertaining to your niche will work nicely.
- Articles - Find articles or write your own about a topic that fits your niche that your readers will enjoy and can learn from.
- Quotes – People LOVE to feel inspired! There are SO many great quotes out there that will help people reflect and get them motivated. Make it a goal to inspire people, they will love you for it!! And it will inspire YOU along the way!
- Blog posts – Link your blog and Facebook account to the Networked Blogs application on Facebook. That way, when you publish a new post on your blog, it will automatically post to your page.
- Sharing other’s posts – When someone in your network posts something of great value, pay it forward and share it for them. Give them credit where credit is deserved:) And when you tag their name in your post, it posts on their wall to for their friends to see also, giving you extra views.
- Be social – There is a reason that Social Networking has the word social it in. It’s about sharing, networking, building relationships, appreciating others and giving back. So, you want to join in the social circle. Reply to your friend’s statuses, “like” their statuses, just have fun chatting with some great people. Don’t be nervous about fitting in or not knowing what to say. Once you reach out and show someone you care by “liking” their status or commenting, you’ve got yourself a lifelong Facebook friend!
What NOT to do on your page(s):
- Don’t post anything negative anywhere on Facebook…EVER! You need to be positive but not cheesy and over the top. You don’t want to be annoying then people will just hide your feed. When you’re on a social networking platform like Facebook, everything you write is for the public to see. You really need to ask yourself what kind of presence you want to create for the world to see, for your friend’s to see, for your potential business partners and customers to see. The biggest mistake I see people make on Facebook is being gung-ho positive and excited about their business one day and the next day they full blown negative about their life and sometimes even using bad language. Then the next day, back to positive. That’s a big no no! Not many people will want to join that or follow that. In branding yourself, you are in a leadership role and you have to behave like a leader and create and treasure your reputation and be someone people will respect. My rule of thumb goes back to the elementary days, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Sure, we all have our moments where we’re having a bad day but keep that at home and not for all of Facebook to see.
- Don’t blast ads in your status everyday! Your goal is to build relationships (get to know people) and provide value. Make 90% of your content information that will help your friends and fans. The other 10% can be promoting what you are offering.
- Don’t post your sales pitch on people’s walls or in response to their statuses. You don’t want to become that person that is just on Facebook to take, you want to be a giver! Givers ALWAYS receive in the long run!
Give back and Pay it Forward
Speaking of being a giver, personal branding doesn’t have to be all about YOU! You can also make it about others. You will meet and may already know some amazing people on Facebook with the same goal as you, to brand themselves. So help them out! Team up with a couple of them and share their content when they post something interesting and helpful. Click on the “share” option right under their status and help get their info out there also. They will appreciate it so much that they will return the favor with one of your future posts. Doing that also counts toward your daily action of what you can share that day. So it also saves you time which we all need more of these days! Working it smart and being a giver….that’s a recipe for success!!
Okay, you are ready to rock and roll and get yourself out there!!! Go have fun on your mission!!! That’s the most important part. Love what you do and how you do it and you will build BIG!!! If you feel this post will help someone you know, please feel free to share it with them! Also, I would LOVE to keep hearing all your feedback and comments, they are MUCH appreciated:)
Have a SUPER productive and happy day!!!
How I got 400 New Fans on my Facebook Page for FREE… in just FIVE days!!
I have been dying to share this with you guys for days! Every time I find something that works beautifully for me in my home business, I want to shout it from the rooftop to help EVERY single WAHM I know reach greater heights of success in their business! After all, we are all in this together and by sharing, we are paying it forward and helping many reach their dream of being a work at home mom. This is a movement guys…jump on the bus and be a part of something incredible! No more bosses, no more rat race, no more daycares…that’s a beautiful thing! SO, how I got 400 new fans on my Facebook fan page (FOR FREE!) in just five days…
I was scrolling through Facebook last Friday and ran across a fan page called Addicted to Networking. It definitely peaked my curiosity so I “Liked” the page and discovered an amazing tool to help increase my fans on my fan page. Addicted to Networking is a networking community dedicated to helping people build their fan pages. They have events called Like Ladders. When they announce a new like ladder through a status update, you comment with tag to your fan page. A tag is easy to create, you simply enter the @ symbol and then begin to type the name of your fan page. You will notice that once you start typing in your fan page name, a drop down menu will pop up and you just select your page. That creates a blue link also known as a tag. Then you travel up the ladder of comments and like the pages of the other people that have posted their fan pages. And most importantly, you give a shout out to Addicted to Networking on your page which they very much deserve. It is teamwork at it’s best and whoever thought of it is pure genius! After all, many people trying to build fan pages don’t start out with a big network of people and building their fan page can be difficult. This certainly helps!
After falling deeply in love with this concept, I went on a mission to find other pages just like it and ran across quite a few (and I’m sure there are many more out there I haven’t discovered yet as I’ve only been doing this for five days). Here are the others I have found:
If you are on a mission to build your fan page…RUN, don’t walk, over to those pages, click the “Like” button and join in on the fun of building your fan pages. I have not only increased my fans by over 400 but I have connected with some really amazing people in the process. What I’ve seen with this method is a whole lot of teamwork going on. It’s really awesome, positive energy and I’m so excited to be a part of it!
Finally, if I haven’t “Liked” your fan page(s) yet, please post them on my wall at TheSavvyWAHMom. I would absolutely love to be a part of helping you build your page!
Quick Tip: The Best Times of Day to Communicate with your Facebook Network
I have been an avid Facebook user for quite some time and I continue to be incredibly impressed by this Social Media Machine. 750 Million users (and growing everyday) and more traffic than internet giants like Google…that is amazing! More than half of those active users log in everyday to stay connected with their friends, customers and business partners. With that many users jumping on Facebook daily, as home business owners and bloggers trying to connect with your social network, it’s crucial to know how and when to get your messages out there for people to see.
We live in a very fast paced, busy world. Some people only jump on Facebook for minutes a day to check their messages and their news feed and many scroll through so fast that they miss stuff. Some only communicate with Facebook through their smartphones for most of the week not allowing them as much convenience to click on links and check out what you are offering. Social networking is all about repetition. You won’t get much result, if any, if you only post your offers, specials, announcements, blog posts, etc. only once. Post them a couple times a week at different times in the day/week. Then you will start to see some results over time. There is a pscyhology to marketing, studies show that people have to see something at least three times before they actually SEE it.
Also, knowing what times of the day have the most traffic is essential in helping your posts have more visibility.
Studies have shown that the top three times of the day with the most users logged in to Facebook tend to be on weekdays at 11:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST. Apparently, the biggest spike occurs at 3:00 p.m. EST on weekdays. Also, the first fifteen minutes of each hour see the highest numbers which is likely due to people taking their breaks at work at the beginning of an hour versus the latter part of the hour. And one last fun fact – fans are less active on Sunday versus any other day of the week. I tested this out with my friend list and sure enough, I had the most friends online during those periods. Interesting stuff, huh?
Posting at other times of the day is fine too. If you’ve built up your fan base/friends list big enough, you will always have people online to view your messages. However, wouldn’t you rather post during a time where double or triple the amount of people will be more likely to see it?? Timing is everything! Some food for thought:)